Sunday, February 28, 2010

Skylark an Impressionist Painting with Andre Previn at the Keyboard







Entitled "Skylark" this is an impressionistic style painting done in acrylics on a 5x7 inch canvas panel.  She was inspired by the song of the same name.
I love Renee Olstead's version of this song, which she sang on her 2009 album of the same name.  The lyrics are by Johnny Mercer; music is by Hoagy Carmichael.  This is considered a jazz standard and was published in 1942.



Lyrics:

Skylark, have you anything to say to me?
Can you tell me where my love may be?
Is there a meadow in the mist
Where he’s just waiting to be kissed?
Skylark, have you seen a valley green with spring
Where my heart can go a journeying
Over the shadows and the rain
To a blossom covered lane?
And in your lonely flight have you heard the music?
In the night, wonderful music.
Faint as a will-o-the-wisp, crazy as a loon,
Sad as a gypsy serenading the moon.
Oh, skylark, I don’t know, I don’t know
If you can find these things,
But my heart, my heart is riding on your wings.
So if you see them anywhere
Won’t you lead me there?

No comments: